SuperQ and RSII

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
AndersL486

SuperQ and RSII

Post by AndersL486 »

I have a 2013 NC-Miata, hard top convertible, automatic transmission, and appearance package.  I want to replace a stock exhaust to RSII or SuperQ exhaust without changing header and mid pipe. 

Before making my decision, I would like to ask if RSII and SuperQ have no drone and are fit for the appearance package. And also want to ask your opinion which one would be the better choice for my car if I want a louder and sporty sound.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: SuperQ and RSII

Post by Brian »

These motors have drone, it is not made by the muffler. The automatic keeps the rpms in the range where the motor makes lots of it. Whether or not you notice the drone depends on the volume of the muffler, unless you have a helmholtz chamber in the system to clip that drone. The factory muffler is so massive and restrictive that not much drone escapes it, though I can show you on a sound meter that the frequencies are there. The SuperQ is mild enough on volume that it too captures most of the drone that 4 cylinder motor wants to make. The RSII was not designed for the automatic customers, it allows a lot more volume out and for automatic customers that is going to mean more noticeable drone. That's why the website and and this forum says, perhaps hundreds of times or more, that we suggest SuperQ for any owners of the automatic.

The only thing that has changed more recently is that we now have a Race muffler with a big Helmholtz chamber to clip the drone. Thus, we have some automatic customers running the Race Helmholtz because they wanted just a muffler yet more volume than SuperQ. I would not recommend RSII on automatic, though some customers have done it with our Helmholtz Midpipe upstream to knock down the drone before it reaches the muffler. I would rather run SuperQ on automatic and if that is not enough volume then add the Helmholtz Midpipe, or just use our Race Helmholtz muffler by itself for a lot more volume and burble than stock but with the drone nicely clipped down by the helmholtz chamber.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
AndersL486

Post by AndersL486 »

Thank you. I will take SuperQ. That fits to appearance package, right?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, SuperQ fits appearance package.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com