Springs vs. Ground Control coilovers?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Xoc

Springs vs. Ground Control coilovers?

Post by Xoc »

Hey all,

I've got a set of KYB AGXs sitting in my garage getting ready to go on to my 92 Miata, and I'm now shopping for springs.

I'm torn between Racing Beat/Flyin Miata springs, or just getting the ground control coilover set.

The car is my sunny day fun car, mainly for zooming around. I'd like to take the car to a driving school, as well as maybe auto-xing it at some point as well, but it needs to be somewhat comfortable for my wife to ride in as well.

Can you give me some suggestions and pros/cons?

Thanks in advance!
Treibenschnell

Post by Treibenschnell »

If you're wife enjoys a stiff ride, then the FM's would be the way to go... they'll have the highest spring rates but can be rather tough to get used to. Also, remember that with the FM's, it's highly suggested you go with the rear shock mounts, otherwise, you may end up riding the bump stops more than you'd like.

The Eibach Pro-Kit is about the same... it's my current spring set (I love 'em).

Check the spring rates on the sets you're looking at... remember, FM's will be the firmest. Work your way back from there...

And just a suggestion, stay away from the Tein S springs... they may work well for everyday cruising and they will make your car look good, but they're way too soft for Auto-X duty.

Where are you located? Perhaps finding local enthusiasts and taking rides in their MX5's will help settle your decision!
[url=http://www.dfwmiata.com]DFWMiata.com[/url] - [i]Home of the[/i] [b][color=blue]BUR[/color][/b]
Treibenschnell

Post by Treibenschnell »

I just realized what I typed in that first sentence... no dis-respect intended! Sorry!
[url=http://www.dfwmiata.com]DFWMiata.com[/url] - [i]Home of the[/i] [b][color=blue]BUR[/color][/b]
xoc

Post by xoc »

Thanks for the info Treibenschnell....where do the Racing Beat street springs fall in the grand scheme of things?

I'm in the Richmond, VA area.
Treibenschnell

Post by Treibenschnell »

Well, let's see... all this info coming from each spring's respective site -

Racing Beat "Streets" Front - 203 lbs/in
Racing Beat "Streets" Rear - 113 lbs/in

Racing Beat "Race" Front - 226 lbs/in
Racing Beat "Race" Rear - 122 lbs/in

Flyin' Miata Front - 342 lbs/in
Flyin' Miata Rear - 228 lbs/in

Eibach Pro-Kit Front - 292 lbs/in
Eibach Pro-Kit Rear - 200 lbs/in

Stock / Koni / Tein... still searching for those...

Again, the higher the lbs/in number, the stiffer the spring.

Post by Guest »

If you can get to Charlottesville, I have a '92 with Koni's, G.C. coil overs and FM rear mounts that you could try. I do have it sitting LOW, but find the ride to be nice, though firm. Let me know mistanfoa@thotmaild0tcom
VRTSid

Post by VRTSid »

I have Ground Controls, I had the Flying miata spring rates, 375#/250#. I just put 450# in the front and moved my 375# to the rear. so great. I use kyb agx on 8 all around on the street. Personally, I could go stiffer. But Im going to hold off untill I get the rest of my suspension sorted.

Post by Guest »

VRTSid wrote:I have Ground Controls, I had the Flying miata spring rates, 375#/250#. I just put 450# in the front and moved my 375# to the rear. so great. I use kyb agx on 8 all around on the street. Personally, I could go stiffer. But Im going to hold off untill I get the rest of my suspension sorted.
would you be intrested in selling the 250# springs?
I have 450# / 350# and I was thinking about going softer.

eddie
erusnak@ameritech.net
MDM242

Post by MDM242 »

I have the KYB/GC setup and like it...but Im hooked on AX. Last summer was first for me + did 10 events. IT WAS GREAT!

What do you want to do in the car? Thats the question... :wink:
95 Miata, KYB/GC, Azenis
mpheinitz

Post by mpheinitz »

Hmmm. 292/200. Interesting spring rates for the Eiback Pro Kit, which I really like BTW. What is your source Treibenschnell?

I was under the impression that the Pro Kit rates were closer to Racing Beat numbers. No wonder everyone says my car rides rough/stiff. And if those numbers are correct, the rear bias will explain some of my handling issues as well. LOL :?

-Michael