MS Springs and sways, help me understand the behaviour

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Bibs

MS Springs and sways, help me understand the behaviour

Post by Bibs »

Hi guys, I posted this on Miata.net, but didn't get the help I need. I am no expert, and need to bring the right message to my mechanic. Original message:

I did a search on suspension/alignments and don't know enough to fully understand what I am reading.

I recently had the MS Springs and sways installed on my 2006 (sport suspension). I gave my shop the MS instructions, and they did an alignment. The rear sway is on the "outer" bolt hole, as per the info I read on this forum. I didn't get a print out of the specs, but here's the behaviour I need to try to communicate to the tech:

The rear end feels like it's floaty, and is way more willing to come around. The DSC is engaging quicker than before. The car tracks straight and drives well under normal conditions. Moderate speed into a corner feels like the car may snap around.

I recall the tech saying the MS instructions didn't address rear camber, so he set it at .3 (I think that's what he meant?).

Is this a combination of the new sway and an alignment problem?
Any help is appreciated.

Marc

PS: I also had a link to the MS instructions, and can't seem to find it...
2006 MX-5 GS, MS Springs and Sways
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Really need to know all the alignment specs to help you here. If they did alignment then they should have given you a printout showing before and after. If not, go back and get that and tell us what all the numbers are.

In brief, YES, this could easily be alignment. You could have a toe out rear condition, a big imbalance in camber, really need to know the exact numbers to say for sure.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com