Brake bias change via pads for 03 Sport?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Dave_W

Brake bias change via pads for 03 Sport?

Post by Dave_W »

Here's the deal -- 2003 Base Miata with Suspension Package, aka Sport. Used for 120 mile roundtrip daily commute in New England and regional autocross in C Stock. Running the 1-1/8" tubular RB front sway (thanks, Brian); everything else is bone stock. I'm looking to get more rotation under trailbraking, and am considering trying different brake pads front and rear to change the effective brake bias. I can't change the proportioning valve due to class rules. I'm also looking for more bite all around than the factory pads. Since it's not seeing track use, I need a pad with good cold response and can give up high temperature fade resistance.

Looks like the options that meet my needs (and Brian carries) are the Porterfield R4S, Hawk HPS, and maybe the Hawk HP Plus. How do the R4S and HPS compare to one another? Is there a noticeable difference in friction and/or cold response? How much different is the cold bite between them and the HP+? Any other thoughts or recommendations?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The mix I would suggest is the HPS up front, and the HP Plus in the rear. That will shift the bite bias rearward a litle for you. You can also work the overall balance of the car with your alignment settings, air pressures, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Dave_W

Post by Dave_W »

Sounds good. Thanks, Brian.