Autocross Tires for 2002 LS

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
north32rowan

Autocross Tires for 2002 LS

Post by north32rowan »

Recently got serious about autocrossing and will buy racing rubber. I want to stay in C-Stock and use extra set of factory rims 16"x6.5". I have been told that it is fairly common practice to use racing tires listed as requiring 7" wide rims on the factory 6.5" wide rims. Is this true, are there any disadvantages, and I'd appreciate any recommendations for a good autocross tire that will fit the factory rims.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The disadvantage is that you need to run higher air pressures to compensate for the lack of sidewall support and even then it will feel a litte sloppy on initial turn-in. You will see fellow autocrossers on the factory 15x6 rims running as much as 225/45/15s shoved onto those rims.

But in 16s you don't have a great choice in competitive autocross tires to shove onto that rim. The top autocross tires are the Hoosier A6 and Khumo V710. Hoosier makes a 205/45/16 and kHUMO makes a 215/40/16 but neither makes what you really want, which is a 225/40/16. AVON makes that size and they even spec that for being shoved onto a 6.5 rim but it is not considered as competitive as the Khumo and Hoosier. So....the question is whether to go with the Khumo or the AVON. I think Tirerack must have an error in their listed specs for the AVON because I can't believe that the section width on the AVON is 9.6 inches and yet the tread width and diameter is supposedly the exact same as the AVON 215/40/16 size. It would not be the first time they have their spec sheets all screwed up. I would be tempted to experiment with the AVON but the KHUMO would be the pick of most....
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
north32rowan

Autocross Tire for 2002 LS

Post by north32rowan »

Thanks for sharing your brain, Brian. Since the tire selection for the 16/6.5" factory rims is slim, would you recommend I sell those rims and get factory 15/6" rims? If so, what profile in the 15" diameter would be your first pick?

Ron
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

It is tempting to go down to the 15x6 except for the fact that you are then competing against the famous 99 sport packages which are lighter cars. I think you need the advantage of that half an inch extra rim width and the only question is figuring out which tire works best for you. It is unfortunate we don't have a perfect tire choice for the 16x6.5 but I would start with the Khumo and see how that works out for you...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
north32rowan

Post by north32rowan »

Great! . . . thanks again for the knowledgeable advice, Ron