30mm offset?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Pistolmiller

30mm offset?

Post by Pistolmiller »

If I am going to dedicate a set of wheels to racing, what is the disadvantage to going with a 30mm offset. Is thiis "too much" for a weekend racer?
Pistolmiller
'02 LS Emerald Mica
Oklahoma City, OK
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

If I recall correctly, 30mm is what we used on the Spec Miatas with the Pro Race wheel.

Definitely not too much for the car. I suppose in theory you would go through wheel bearings quicker, but that's a common part to replace regularly anyway when tracking a car.

BTW, I'm assuming you're asking this question for a NA/NB?

Ron
Pistolmiller

Post by Pistolmiller »

yes, it is a 2002 w/sports package. I have been making several choices since I recieved some money from Santa. New shocks and springs and wheels and tires. I am looking at the Kazera 15x7 w/ 30mm. The car never sees the road except for Sunday racing and the occasional track day.
Pistolmiller
'02 LS Emerald Mica
Oklahoma City, OK
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

Okay, I just verified that it was the 30mm offset that we used. Worked great and gave the car a wider track. We ran these on the NAs.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether you'll have any rubbing issues on the NB. I wouldn't imagine that you would, but Brian should be able to answer that.

Ron
Pistolmiller

Post by Pistolmiller »

That is something I would really like to know before I make the deal!

Brian...
Pistolmiller
'02 LS Emerald Mica
Oklahoma City, OK
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

As Ron notes, the 30mm is the choice of most Spec Miata racers. That's because it proves a little faster than choices such as 35mm and 40mm. There is more room in the fenders on NB than NA so fitment is usually pretty easy on NB for a 205/50/15. Nonetheless, variables include how much negative camber you set and how low you set the car. And, if you later add a blower or turbo and want to run more tire (such as 225/45/15), then you would be better off with 35mm. And if you want a guarantee of no fender rub and no potential need to adjust fender lips then stick to 40mm.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Pistolmiller

Post by Pistolmiller »

That is something I would really like to know before I make the deal!

Brian...
Pistolmiller
'02 LS Emerald Mica
Oklahoma City, OK
Pistolmiller

Post by Pistolmiller »

I am not going to add a turbo at any time....

So, if I am going with the 30mm, and get an alignment for"typical auto x" cars, there will not be a problem with rubbing?!? We have a guy in our region that soecializes in miata alignments. I would assume that he would be able to "judge" this when he does it?
Pistolmiller
'02 LS Emerald Mica
Oklahoma City, OK
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yep, should be fine...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Pistolmiller

Post by Pistolmiller »

Last question....

...even if I have put shocks and springs on it that have lowered it an inch or so?

Thanks for the help Brian...I will be ordering today!
Pistolmiller
'02 LS Emerald Mica
Oklahoma City, OK