Newbie question about RS mid-pipe and Stock category rules

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
gordonm

Newbie question about RS mid-pipe and Stock category rules

Post by gordonm »

Hi all,

I have owned my MX GT for exactly one year now and absolutely love it. In fact, it's soooo much fun that I've decided I'd like to give auto-X a try, and will be hitting some local events soon. I've read enough to know that at this point I need seat time (and classes) more than I need mod's, but since I'm a dreamer, I've already started a list of things I'd like to do. They're all the typical things like shocks, springs, exhaust, etc., but I want to make sure that whatever I do I stay within the SCCA Stock category for now.

So, that leads me to my newbie question . . . is adding the RS mid-pipe that everyone is making sound SO COOL still considered a "cat-back" exhaust mod as defined by the Stock category rules? I understand that just adding a different exhaust system (like the RS Duals that will someday soon be mine!) would be fine, but I'm confused about the mid-pipe, as it has a cat on it. I thought I read in the SCCA rules something about both the addition or subtraction of a cat is forbidden for the Stock Category.

Any enlightenment on this question will be greatly appreciated!
G.M.
2006 MX-5 GT, Galaxy Grey, Blk, RoadsterSport Q;
AEM CAI in the garage;
Mid-pipe, and RPO3's in my dreams
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yep, the factory midpipe has a cat in it...which means you can only change the final exhaust section for stock class, not the midpipe.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
gordonm

Post by gordonm »

Thanks for the quick answer, Brian. I was thinking I could do both the mid-pipe and the back end mod's at the same time. But, since I can't change the mid-pipe, I guess that means I'll be able to order those RS Duals twice as soon as I figured!

G.M.
2006 MX-5 GT, Galaxy Grey, Blk, RoadsterSport Q;
AEM CAI in the garage;
Mid-pipe, and RPO3's in my dreams