shock problems

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
84im

shock problems

Post by 84im »

I have new Koni racing shocks on the front of my monster (with GCs). The problem is I can't get the height higher than 12.5" with these shocks. I thought 12.5" would be fine, but with the V8 the oil pan and header/exhaust sit way too low. I need to raise the height to at least 13"
Unfortunately, I think I'll have to replace Koni racing shocks with something else. (I still have my 12 year old standard Konis).
Some questions:
1. Should I send my old Konis away to have them rebuilt/re-valved to meet the needs of the V8's extra weight and 450 pound GC springs?

2. If I should get them re-valved, who should I send them to?

3. Should I buy new standard Konis and have them re-valved?

4. Are there other options?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Ron
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Perhaps source a race spring that is an inch longer if you just need about an inch more height?
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
84im

Post by 84im »

I have the adjustable collar on the GC sleeve up against the spring. I have more room on the GC sleeve, but to move the collar up higher (and increase my ride height) I'd have to compress the spring by rotating the collar, and I can't do that. I'm not sure how a longer spring would help here.
84im

Post by 84im »

Well, I may have solved my own problem. I copied Fat Cat, and made a set of spacers to fit over the NB shock mounts. Mine are 1/2" (Fat Cat's are 3/8"). The fronts are now close to 13", which may sound like a lot, but with my very low oil pan and exhaust headers it isn't.