Chassis stiffening

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
sprout97

Chassis stiffening

Post by sprout97 »

What's your viewpoint on bracing on a non-solo, street car, especially with regard to shock tower devices. Both Racing Beat & Norman Garrett
(Mazda Miata Performance Handbook) seem to regard them as a waste of time. My goal is to quell as much of the creaks in my aging stone-stock '97 M-edition as I can.

If a brace is indicated, what would give the best solution for my situation, a 2-point, 3-point (Jackson or Cobalt, etc) or a closed 3-point?[/u]
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If the goal is to make the car faster on an autocross course then the braces don't help. On the other hand, if the goal is to reduce noise, vibration, and the "creaks" of twisting in the real world then the braces do help...and the more connecting points the better. Seam welding is a big help but assuming we want to bolt on braces then I like the Racing Beat front lower control arm brace and their rear subframe brace (sorry, this subframe brace does not fit your year) and our three point shock tower brace is preferred over the two point units. The Flyin Miata butterfly brace may be a bit heavy...but is a very effective item for your goal.

P.S. Norman Garrett vanished from the Miata world years ago in disgrace. My humble opinion is that much of what is in his book was inaccurate when it was published, and much of the rest is simply out of date. My frank opinion is that you should use that book to start your next campfire and NOT depend on any of the advice contained therein.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
sprout97

Post by sprout97 »

Thanks for your insight, Brian. If I read your comments correctly, I should start with RB front brace, then progress to the tower brace, and go with FM's butterfly/side rails if necessary.

Regarding the RB brace, should I pitch the factory piece or use it in tandem?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I would run the RB brace in tandem with the factory.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ZIPNBYE

Post by ZIPNBYE »

Having owned a 1990, and installing through it's lifetime, a number of chassis braces and a roll-bar, I can say that all of those combined made less of an impact as the Flyin' Miata butterfly brace (with frame rails).

What an amazing bit of kit that is...simple install (only a few curses and no skinned knuckles) and it totally transforms the character of the car. More impressive than the feeling of a Miata with the hard-top installed, yet you can still see sky.
Richard
2007 MX-5 GT/PP/PRHT | Stormy Blue Mica / saddle brown | #1 of 16 special order cars | Signed by Takao Kijima & Tom Matano