Miata Coupe Weight?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
MichaelBrown

Miata Coupe Weight?

Post by MichaelBrown »

Does anyone know how much the convertible section weighs? i ask because further down the road i'd like to make a MX-5 Coupe with the Removable Hardtop. When i get the hardtop i can get rid of the whole convertible section.

Just wanted to know if removing convertible, and adding hardtop would show a loss of weight.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Not a significant enough difference to notice. Even if we assume the difference is as great as 20 pounds between the soft top with hardware and the removeable hardtop....that's not enough to make noticeable difference in street performance.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
MichaelBrown

Post by MichaelBrown »

I believe you when it comes to its not a significant amount of weight, but i've been talking it over with other people and we've come to believe that thanks to the lower weight up top, it would actually lower our Center of Gravity. Thus, improving handling and overall feel for the car.

Aerodynamics also comes into play with this mod, the smooth hardtop would not only make this car look sleeker, it actually would be. The coupe look is pretty sweet, and for obvious reasons. Just plain and simple aerodynamics.

Also, It might create more rigidity for the body. Having a big wide open area on the car, and then suddenly closing it would probably make for a more solid feel.

And ofcourse, if you add the new rollbar thats out, and the hardtop. i doubt any track is going to hassle you when it comes to safetly.