Does anyone know any info on 2.3 swap?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
darvo

Does anyone know any info on 2.3 swap?

Post by darvo »

I know there are several proyects of swapped 2.3 NC's...
But does anyone know what has happened with this swaps?

Are they out yet?
Does anyone have any info on how to do it?
charlie brown

Post by charlie brown »

The capacity difference in the two engines looks like a longer stroke in the crank.

The bore in both engines is the same at 87.5mm but the stroke in the 2.3 litre engine is 94mm compared to the 2.0 litre engine’s 83.1mm.

You should be able to just to a crank swap.
sloopercat

Post by sloopercat »

You might end up with an engine that is rough at high RPM's. In other vehicles, Mazda put balance shafts in the 2.3. I understand there is not enough room for the balance shafts in the NC chassis. But, some folks have "modded" their 2.3's by removing that balance shaft too.
darvo

Post by darvo »

charlie brown wrote:The capacity difference in the two engines looks like a longer stroke in the crank.

The bore in both engines is the same at 87.5mm but the stroke in the 2.3 litre engine is 94mm compared to the 2.0 litre engine’s 83.1mm.

You should be able to just to a crank swap.
The 2.3 engine has a taller deck, and calculatin the rod ratio between both the 2.3 has better rod ratio than the 2.0..
And balance shafts can be removed... I heard(read) there where a like 3 Nc's that there where doing this swap.