NC Coilover Install....OHLINS, JIC, etc...

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
1200bruce

Re: NC Coilover Install....OHLINS, JIC, etc...

Post by 1200bruce »

Oh how big of hole did you drill in the tower brace? 1" I'm guessing.
2008 Miata GT 6 speed man. RHT
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

Hmm,
Remove the alloy adjusting knob from the shock. Now use a few pieces of masking tape under the tower brace. Now try to place the brace where it will mount once a hole is drilled. Take your time to line it up the best you can. The top of the shock shaft should put a mark in the masking tape once you put a *little* pressure against the tape. Now use a center punch and a smaller drill bit to drill a starting hole, I used a 1/8" bit. After you drill the starter hole remove the tape & place the brace back to see if your off oneway or another. I then use a 7/8" step drill bit to enlarge the hole. Now use a small round file to clean up the metal burrs & some black touchup paint to paint the fresh hole. If your not centered fairly well you may need a larger hole. Touchup auto paint can be pickup for about $5 to $7 the step drill bit can be pickup from go old HF for about $3 to $5. :idea: You can just use the step bit to drill the starter hole too.

AZ
roadster_nh

Post by roadster_nh »

Brian -- can you help me understand more about the Swift thrust sheets? I've noticed that some people need them for the Ohlins, while others (perhaps most) do not. Under what circumstances are they needed? I'm expecting my set to arrive soon and I'm wondering if I need to consider these things.
2003 LS FFS
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

It is a big plastic washer. My estimate is perhaps 1 out of 40 customers get them. They simply reduce potential for noise. In performance coilovers like these the springs are in direct contact with the metal perch, no thick rubber gasket like in most stock setups...and that metal to metal contact means some potential for squeaks as the system compresses and the spring releases again...and that thrust sheet is simply an isolator to avoid that metal to metal noise potential. I have not found the need, most customer don't, but if you are particularly sensitive to every sound you hear in the car then you might like to include those.
Attachments
thrust.jpg
thrust.jpg (3.5 KiB) Viewed 24951 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Another good customer install thread at Miata.net forum HERE.
Attachments
Ohlins1.jpg
Ohlins1.jpg (105.98 KiB) Viewed 24827 times
Ohlins2.jpg
Ohlins2.jpg (78.14 KiB) Viewed 24827 times
Ohlins3.jpg
Ohlins3.jpg (139.82 KiB) Viewed 24827 times
Ohlins4.jpg
Ohlins4.jpg (134.45 KiB) Viewed 24827 times
Ohlins5.jpg
Ohlins5.jpg (196.25 KiB) Viewed 24827 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Apexcone

Post by Apexcone »

Thanks Brian, and pictures of what you do in the back, are you removing trim of cutting ?
Terry

"I know you're cheating because I am and you're beating me"
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Looking fast Terry!
Attachments
Terry-OHLINS.JPG
Terry-OHLINS.JPG (56.08 KiB) Viewed 20265 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Woo

Post by Woo »

Brian wrote:... space out bottom shock where it attaches the shock to the car by at least a quarter inch. ...
This is specifically concerning the Flex Z coil overs.

At the rear in the stock installation of the bottom of the shock to the hub there are two thick washers, one under the bolt head and one on the other side of the bushing. Are both these washers retained when installing the Flex Zs?

I ask because the shaft that the bushing installs over is quite short, such that it only goes about half way through the bushing. There must be a reason for this but it eludes me. If the bottom washer was removed there would be more engagement of bushing onto shaft, and I don't see any clearance problems elsewhere.

Any clarification appreciated.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Parking DFV info here.

THE TECHNOLOGY
The Features Of DFV Technology
So what is DFV? It is Dual Flow Valve technology – and it sets us apart from our competitors. Only Öhlins has DFV technology on its road and track products.
With DFV, the dual flow valve gives the same characteristics on rebound as it does on compression, thanks the damper fluid having a consistent path of flow in both directions. This means that the wheel and tyre can quickly and effectively resume their important position back on the ground, providing grip and traction. The new Öhlins R&T range uses DFV technology on every single fitment, making it the perfect upgrade for the enthusiast that needs comfort and agility in the one unit.
OhlinsDFV1.jpg
OhlinsDFV1.jpg (58.78 KiB) Viewed 19919 times
Figure 1: (Compression flow) At low shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the shaft jet bleed (lower dotted arrow). At higher shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the compression ports in the piston (upper dotted arrow). At very high shaft speeds, or during sudden shaft accelerations, oil can also escape through the compression ports in the DFV, increasing comfort. Figure 2: (Rebound flow) At low shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the shaft jet bleed (lower dotted arrow). At higher shaft speeds, oil flows mostly through the rebound ports in the piston (upper dotted arrow). At very high shaft speeds, or during sudden shaft accelerations, oil can also escape through the rebound ports in the DFV, maintaining tyre contact with the road.
Because DFV opens more quickly and easily on minor road imperfections, ride comfort is surprisingly supple and more akin to an OEM strut than a coilover set-up. Over undulating surfaces, the compliancy of the R&T units allows the car to crest bumps and pot-holes, whilst still keep stable and in control. Traction is always maintained at its optimum level. When comparing suspension, why settle for second best?
DFV2.jpg
DFV2.jpg (45.49 KiB) Viewed 19919 times
Figure 3: (Vehicle – no DFV) Without DFV the oil can not flow through the piston quickly enough on the rebound stroke after hitting a bump, so the tyre is not able to stay in contact with the road.
DFV3.jpg
DFV3.jpg (45.6 KiB) Viewed 19919 times
Figure 4: (Vehicle – DFV technique) The DFV valve opens, letting the oil flow quicker through the piston on the rebound stroke after hitting a bump, enabling the tyre to stay in contact with the road.
When adjusting ride height on coilover units, it’s worth comparing how it’s done. On many inferior designs, height is adjusted by raising or lowering the lower spring platform. This has the effect of compressing or extending the spring, which can limit the suspension travel that may cause topping out. The Öhlins method is to leave the spring seat in its perfect position, whilst the lower flange spins easily on the threaded body, to allow you to adjust with absolute precision whilst maintaining the perfect characteristics that we took so long to design in! Once you’ve set it all up, the adjuster simply locks off to maintain your exact settings.
Dampers will get hot. That’s one thing that you can be sure of. As the piston moves within the damper, it generates friction – and therefore, heat. Although we can’t stop heat, we can deal with it, and this is yet another way that Öhlins differs from the competition. As the heat increases, the viscosity of the damper fluid can change, altering the car’s handling characteristics. Our unique needle bleed valve expands with temperature, closing the gap that the fluid travels through, maintaining a consistent damping rate. The best thing of all? You won’t even notice! All you’ll feel is that the car responds consistently, lap after lap, turn after turn. Allowing you to concentrate on braking points and apexes whilst the Öhlins technology takes care of the damping.
DFV4.jpg
DFV4.jpg (67.87 KiB) Viewed 19919 times
Figure 5: Thermal Expansion
These kits all work well ‘out of the box’, but there’s still plenty of adjustment for you to set things your way. You like stiff and reactive? Or soft and forgiving? It’s all there. Too much low speed rebound damping can have an adverse effect on grip, so the easily accessible adjuster at the base of the Öhlins units allows small, but positive increments of fine tuning, so you can take into account every single parameter. Sounds complicated? Nothing could be further for the truth. Just a few clicks either way from our factory settings will soon have your car responding precisely to your inputs and driving style.
Most of the Road & Track McPherson struts also feature camber adjustable upper and lower mounts to give you the possibility to fine tune your wheels for the right occasion – whether you want to go for a ride in your neighborhood or take your car for a spin at the track on a weekend.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
morrisg

Post by morrisg »

Any updates on spring rates for the street and/or race tuned versions? Also, estimated first availability dates?

And a big Thank You for bringing Ohlins on board for tuning so early in the ND product cycle.