More coilover questions...

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
dmarino1

More coilover questions...

Post by dmarino1 »

So Brain i just want to say i have full intentions of purchasing my suspension setup from you. So i'm not just soaking you for info here :D.

I'm highly considering both the Eibach Pro kit as well as the Bilstein PSS9. My main concern is that they are non adjustable and their spring rates seem a bit on the soft side. I'm more inclined to go with the Bilstein's do to the fact that so many people have had luck with them. On thing that i found on miata.net today that interests me is the koni(race)/gc setup. I had koni yellows with linear springs on my acr neon and absolutely loved them. What would a complete package like this end up costing? As for spring rates would 500/375 (seemed popular) be good for a dual purpose setup? If not what would you advise? I realize spring rates are very important and that needs vary, so please let me know if i should call you to discuss this.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yep, I suggest a call so we can get a better understanding of your particular needs...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
dmarino1

Post by dmarino1 »

A big thanks to Brian. Today i ordered my koni/gc setup.

Front
Gc 550
Koni Yellow Race

Rear
Gc 375
Koni Yello (non race)

I could not be more excited to take this stock floppy suspension and toss it in the trash. After searching miata.net i was that some people use the flying miata rear strut mounts to get more travel back there, is this a big deal?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The rear travel is a big deal if you plan to lower the car a lot...you give up more and more travel the lower you go. So, if you plan to go down 2 inches or more consider some top mounts that extend travel. The FM top mounts are very nice....also consider the choice from Fat Cat MotorSports which are not as fancy but save you quite a bit of money.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
dmarino1

Post by dmarino1 »

After looking up that mount package and then spending nearly my entire afternoon :D researching the mounts, suspension setups, lowering possibilities, and reading about experiences i have come to a few conclusions. I also came up with one question i cant seem to find an answer to.

First off it appears my stock ride height is around 13.5f and 14r. I got this info from the terrific excel spreadsheet @ fat cat racing. I would like to lower the rear to around 13 and the front to 12.5-12.75. Being that the front shocks are shorter then stock by 1" i should be able to retain full suspension travel at a front setting of just around 12.5 using stock na mounts. For this to work i will have to use the fcm 46mm bump stops. The fact that the fcm bump stops add over 1" of usable travel means i should be able to use na mounts in the rear and keep stock travel and have more travel then stock up front at my lowering settings. I got my info from this thread.... http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php? ... stcount=72

What i would like to do is order the fcm bump stops and use new na shock mounts so that i avoid over lowering the car. My question relates to the koni's i just bought (bought for 90-93). Are they m10 or m12 and do they come with hardware? I know i will have to drill the mounts out but in not sure if i will need to create mounting hardware like seen here. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2343497

My goal here is not just to save a few dollars but to not over lower the car. Michigan can have some scary roads :P.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Koni are indeed 12m center rods...and come with hardware.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NA-Eric

Post by NA-Eric »

You will only need to "create that mounting hardware" if using NB mount on NA shock. NA shock to NA shock mount = stock hardware.
Koni's to stock NA mount = drill, use Koni hardware.
Eric
92 NA, Hard Dog Roll Bar, Fidanza Flywheel, Short Shifter
And more on the way!
dmarino1

Post by dmarino1 »

Thanks guys, perfect answers.
dmarino1

Post by dmarino1 »

Yey they are here!