Exhaust Volume

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
dave & miatank

Exhaust Volume

Post by dave & miatank »

I'm trying to get a feel for how loud some of the more popular NC exhaust systems are. From what I can gather so far, RB is the quietest, then RS, then MS. Wondering where FM might fit in. Any others?
Would like the NC to sound like a sports car and not like an econo-box. But can't be too loud during top up, high speed travel. Top down, anything goes. :) If some burble/pop come thru, even better! We still enjoy old school sports car sounds. :D
I know a mid-pipe change can add some sound, but I'd rather hold off on that mod.

dave and miatank - time to get my hands dirty
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The only problem with forum responses is that they are entirely subjective. In the product descriptions I have tried to relate the choices as a percentage of sound over the stocker to take some of the subjectivity out of the analysis. In the end, if you don't have the chance to hear them for yourself then at least our RoadsterSport is adjustable whereas you get what you get with the other choices.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
hhowey

From a musician

Post by hhowey »

Not R'n'R :lol:

I believe the RACE version is really great. I have the insert, but I took it out after a day of driving backroads north of Houston and unable to hear my car when the many Harleys and diesel 4X4s were around.

My neighbor gets a kick out of the sound, and the burble when you decelerate below 3K rpm is very pleasant.

With an open top at 70 mph+ on the freeway here, I find Renaissance sonatas and canzonas very pleasant.
Skip Howey
ZIPNBYE

Post by ZIPNBYE »

I recently installed my GWR mid-pipe together with my FM muffler and am very pleased with the results (notwithstanding the two days of smell from the new exhaust and cat). :wink:

Some NC owners complain and complain of the boominess or resonance with the aftermarket NC exhausts...whereas my thoughts are that the car is a sports car, and yes, you ARE supposed to hear the exhaust. I don't find it objectionable at all...either under hard acceleration or on engine-deceleration. It's got a nice burble when you depress in the clutch for the last time when coming to a stop...and a little bark when needed between up-shifts.
Richard
2007 MX-5 GT/PP/PRHT | Stormy Blue Mica / saddle brown | #1 of 16 special order cars | Signed by Takao Kijima & Tom Matano
dave & miatank

Post by dave & miatank »

Wanted to follow up with my impressions of the RS exhaust. Install was easy - did'nt even have to lift the rear of the car. I took out the baffles that are supplied so all sound comments are without them.
Now it sounds like a sports car! :D With the topdown it is a little louder - in a good way. Just enuf burble comes thru to remind one that it is a sports car, not a sewing machine. At speed, road/wind/tire noise is much greater than the exhaust. For me, it's a non issue.
With the PRHT up, you might not even notice any difference in sound. Cruise is not effected by exhaust noise - other noises are greater.
Tho I doubt I could really tell a performance change, the motor felt crisper and responded well.
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the smaller muffler does not show below the rear skirt. Now all you see is a few suspension bits. Better than that can hanging below the skirt.
When I set up my first Miata I wanted a much louder exhaust - FYI a FM turbo exhaust on a SC'ed motor is LOUD. For this car I needed to compromise on the quiter side - but still retain the 'sports car sound' that I enjoy sooo much.

dave and miatank - NA-loud, NC-not so loud
ZIPNBYE

Post by ZIPNBYE »

dave & miatank wrote:FYI a FM turbo exhaust on a SC'ed motor is LOUD. For this car I needed to compromise on the quiter side - but still retain the 'sports car sound' that I enjoy sooo much.
D'uh...in so much as the FM turbo systems account for the turbo acting as muffler #1. A supercharger doesn't do that in anyway, and therefore requires a more muffled system, which is why they sell many versions.
Richard
2007 MX-5 GT/PP/PRHT | Stormy Blue Mica / saddle brown | #1 of 16 special order cars | Signed by Takao Kijima & Tom Matano
dave & miatank

Post by dave & miatank »

We tried several exhaust systems before we selected the turbo version. Loud, yes - but with all the right sounds. Tom Matano ( http://www.miata.net/misc/matano.html ) heard the car at MW99 and came over to introduce himself and complement the great sound. The inside of the trunk lid has his autograph.

dave and miatank(s) - but we needed the NC to be quieter