NC clutch and oil cooler technical question.

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
v67gsr

NC clutch and oil cooler technical question.

Post by v67gsr »

My Maruha flywheel will go into my car soon and I have some parts related question.

Did anyone try the Mazdaspeed Motorsports race 4 puck clutch disc? If you do, which one? The solid one or the spring load one?

Since I am going to pull the tranny off the car, I may as well put in a clutch disc, most important lighter clutch disc, to maximize the weight cut with what my $ can afforded.

Another question is about the oil cooler listed in Mazdaspeed Motorsports parts list. It listed as Japan market but I was wondering did anyone run it? I’ve search Japan spec car race site and found no info on this oil cooler at all.

Thanks for any input.
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

+1. I'm also interested in both topics.
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
NA-Eric

Re: NC clutch and oil cooler technical question.

Post by NA-Eric »

v67gsr wrote:The solid one or the spring load one?
Not an NC owner, but the solid one should be considered race only. The spring are there to soften the shock on the trans and rest of the drivetrain. Have run one in other cars, and harder on drivetrain.
Eric
92 NA, Hard Dog Roll Bar, Fidanza Flywheel, Short Shifter
And more on the way!
v67gsr

Re: NC clutch and oil cooler technical question.

Post by v67gsr »

NA-Eric wrote:
v67gsr wrote:The solid one or the spring load one?
Not an NC owner, but the solid one should be considered race only. The spring are there to soften the shock on the trans and rest of the drivetrain. Have run one in other cars, and harder on drivetrain.
Yeah, I've driven couple soild disc before and they seem good to me. No doubt will put more stress into the drivetrain. What I want to know the most is the weight. :D

As for oil cooler, I want to know how it mount and wil the oil filter relocate somewhere else? The reason I ask is that I've try to put a sandwish spacer between the engine block and oil filter. Even using the thinnest one I can get, the oil filter is still too tall and eventually will touch the sub-frame. This oil cooler kit looks like an answer to my problem. But then I need to make sure before I make the order.
NA-Eric

Post by NA-Eric »

I think that the weight of three or four spings that close to the center of the rotaring mass would be negligible. With that, and having the NA with the lowest power output and the lightest weight, the weight differance vs the abuse the drivetrain will get, I would and do run the spring type cluch disc.
Eric
92 NA, Hard Dog Roll Bar, Fidanza Flywheel, Short Shifter
And more on the way!