Koni Install Issue -Rear Too High?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
azcarguy

Koni Install Issue -Rear Too High?

Post by azcarguy »

A friend just installed some Koni's on his '99 Miata. It is not the Sport model.

Below is his message to me. What did he do wrong?

Scott Meyers
Scott,

I had a quick question regarding the Koni shocks you installed on your Miata.
Did you notice any change in ride height after installing them?

I just purchased a set and after install found the rear of the car is sitting 2" higher than before.
I used the spring perch that came with the Koni shock, maybe I should have used the perch from the OEM shock?

The shocks have been on the car for a week now, so I would have thought that any suspension settling would be done by now.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Matt
Scott
Glendale AZ
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

They normally sit high for the first 100 miles but then sit down to normal height after that....otherwise I would start making sure the parts are all in there correctly. If everything was torqued while the car was in the air that too can hold it up...but usually that effect will settle out quickly too.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
azcarguy

Post by azcarguy »

Thanks.... he did torque everything up in the air, but also said he had the "springs sitting wrong" on the perches"....whatever that means.

All is now 'back to earth' (corrected)..... :oops:
Brian wrote:They normally sit high for the first 100 miles but then sit down to normal height after that....otherwise I would start making sure the parts are all in there correctly. If everything was torqued while the car was in the air that too can hold it up...but usually that effect will settle out quickly too.
Scott
Glendale AZ