SUPERCHARGED NC Racer Project!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: SUPERCHARGED NC Racer Project!

Post by Brian »

Big love all weekend for our Project NC. Thanks to all the NC owners dropping in to talk all things NC. Super proud of this old project, it was tagged in for the event with just a few hours of notice as demands of our new build out of the new building kept distracting me right up until we needed to load a car and hit the road. My only regret was not picking this car earlier in the week so we could get the extra tall bumpstops in it that we usually add just for Laguna to limit tire rub at the bottom of the Corkscrew. Prior appearances of this machine at Laguna had been less than perfect as we kept having issues with stock ignition at the 300 hp level, prototype Corvette coil setup by our Ryan Passey worked flawlessly (only burb I had all weekend was when I let the fuel get low, high grip NC is really 'out of gas' at Laguna turn 6 with 3/8ths of a tank).

Thanks to all the customers who signed up ahead of time for "Golden Ticket" ride and came by our spot for some NC fun!
Attachments
NCLove.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Home from Laguna!

Amazing weekend, thanks to all for the fun! The track is rarely this good, it was amazing. Normally foggy mornings mean a few hours of drying the track and laying rubber for it to get fast but sun was bright by 7am each day without any hint of overcast or fog and it was dry and fast from 9am first runs and just got faster and faster....ideal conditions.
Attachments
l4.jpg
L2.jpg
L1.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DanielS172

Post by DanielS172 »

Thanks for the ride, Brian! Glad to see you're still showing love and support for the NC. I was going to drive in group B on Sunday, but unfortunately someone crashed into me on the way to the driver's meeting, and my car was totaled :cry:
2014 Club | OEM hardtop | GWR HH mid, FM muffler | ZetaCRD | Wilwood LBBK | Blackbird Fabworx GT3 roll bar | TRMotorsports FF10s
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

DanielS172 wrote:Thanks for the ride, Brian! Glad to see you're still showing love and support for the NC. I was going to drive in group B on Sunday, but unfortunately someone crashed into me on the way to the driver's meeting, and my car was totaled :cry:

Ahh...that's crazy, on the way to the event. Terribly sorry to hear that, sorry you missed the fun AND get to deal with insurance now and starting over on setup. Hopefully you can find a way for SOMETHING good to come of it, like you get a version you prefer now, color you like better, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DanielS172

Post by DanielS172 »

Brian wrote:Ahh...that's crazy, on the way to the event. Terribly sorry to hear that, sorry you missed the fun AND get to deal with insurance now and starting over on setup. Hopefully you can find a way for SOMETHING good to come of it, like you get a version you prefer now, color you like better, etc.
Yeah... Don't mean to get off topic here but you're right. If there's one thing I hated about my car it's the color combo; white with saddle brown interior? :? No thanks.

Thankfully it looks like all of my "go fast" parts are undamaged, so theoretically I should be able to transfer them over to another car and keep the NC love going!
2014 Club | OEM hardtop | GWR HH mid, FM muffler | ZetaCRD | Wilwood LBBK | Blackbird Fabworx GT3 roll bar | TRMotorsports FF10s
jsskibo

Post by jsskibo »

Every time I went to talk to you at Laguna you had at least one person asking questions and sometimes three. I had a great time at the event, my first. Anyway , need some setup suggestions . I was running 1:45's by myself and 1:47's with a rider. It had been 15 years since my last SCCA days there but, like riding a bike.
Questions, I think my 2012 NC needs to be a little stiffer. It has a lot more lean in my photos than yours. Plus it is a little loose on turn in but not bad anywhere else. I do drive it on the street but a stiffer ride would not bother me. Softening up the shocks makes the current set up firm but conformable . I plan to run 5 to 6 HPDE events a year.
I'm running Tein Flex Z coilovers with their standard 7kg front and 5kg rear springs.
240x17 Nito NT1 tires on 17x9 wheels.
Track Dog front bar on the stiffest setting - rear bar disconnected. (It was really loose with the stock rear bar hooked up)
FMSC with 2.9" pulley - 1.8 header - Dynotronics tune
The car has been corner balanced. -3.5 frt Camber -- -2.5 Camber rear. 1/16" toe in Frt --- 1/8 Toe out rear
The only car I could not get by easy in group C was a Turbo NC from Utah, he said he just had it on the dyno and retuned for more boost and he had 275 rwhp. He would pull about two car lengths on the straight but he did not have a clue how to get through turn 6. Guess that would put me in the 230 to 240 rwhp range.
Soooooo...... what would you recommend for springs or alignment changes .
Anyway, thats for any help you can give me. I will make sure I get to talk with you next year.

Jack Skibo
Chico, Calif.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I was on 'too soft' myself, that NC of ours setup for busted up surface of local autocross lot here in San Diego. Thus, just 8kg front, 7kg rear. Given more prep time for Laguna would have put the 13kg front back in that car and balanced with bigger rear sway to match, currently just stock rear sway.

Is yours really toe in at the front and toe out at the rear? We normally do the reverse of that for autocross so mine is toe out front, toe slightly in at rear....and when time permits closer to toe zero front for track.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jsskibo

Post by jsskibo »

Thanks for the info. I tried a little toe out at first, that is what I always had in all my other track cars but it really made the NC's turn in so sharp the back end wanted to come around big time. A little toe in helped but still loose on turn in. Make sense now that I know I need a lot more front spring. You didn't say what you normally run in the rear at a big track so maybe 7kg?

So do you guys have springs in that range that would fit my Tein coilovers? Are the front and rear springs on the Tein Flex Z interchangeable? If yes I could run what I have in the front now on the rears.

I should have just gotten in line so I could have talked to you at the track. Thanks again.

Jack
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Autocross fun day with BMW Club.

Action shot by our Man Calvin 'CJ' Ford
Attachments
SilverAutocrossB.jpg
SilverActionAutocross.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Updates. Years ago I de-tuned the suspension for my wife to race this beast, softer springs and slower reactions so she could have some hope of getting a handle on it. She did great, won events, but has not raced it in a while and the soft setup was far too soft for Laguna Seca in particular. So, going back up in springs from 8/7 to 11/7 and adding prototype rear RoadsterSport sway to balance big front solid Speedway bar and that extra front spring rate. May need a Progress rear sway but will see how it goes tomorrow at BMW CLUB event. Previously had 13kg front springs years ago but trying the 11kg because our local autocross lot is pretty beat up, some compliance helps.
Attachments
NC-Super.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com