SUPERCHARGED NC Racer Project!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
MX-5 Cup

Post by MX-5 Cup »

Brian wrote:Sorry, Cosworth does not know if it will fit auto trans.
:cry:
I LOVE MY MX-5 :)
StKnoWhere

Post by StKnoWhere »

I think this will just about complete my MX5 to "Goodwin Mobile" conversion ;-)

Are the dyno runs with stock intake and exhaust?
OM-ARC

Post by OM-ARC »

Brain - if you could provide comments on how the install goes - was it how you expected, what were the issues and things to look for - it would be a great help. Thank you
jasonMX5

Post by jasonMX5 »

hey rod, you are running 8:1 comp pisons on a stock ECU? Last time I saw a compression change done, the pistons ended up having their faces burned off. But that of course was goingg from 8:1 to 12.5:1 lol.

One questions guys. Who here is going to be running the supercharger with full exhaust? I am not going to be doing this due to the fact I think that would be to much for the stock engine to handle, anybody think I am wrong? I estimate the exhaust would provide a big boost in power combined with the S/C over the stock system.
2007 NC, 6spd. True Red, BEGi turbocharged. Supporting mods.
magnuson

Fitment for Non AC Cars

Post by magnuson »

Brian,

It looks like the current belt configuration will only work if you have an AC pump. Does that leave the SV and Club Spec folks like me out of the picture for now?
1992 & 2006 Miata
magnuson

Post by magnuson »

jasonMX5 wrote: One questions guys. Who here is going to be running the supercharger with full exhaust? I am not going to be doing this due to the fact I think that would be to much for the stock engine to handle, anybody think I am wrong? I estimate the exhaust would provide a big boost in power combined with the S/C over the stock system.
My guess is that having full exhaust would not cause problems. However, I think Cosworth is eventually going to come out with a tune specifically for folks with full exhaust.

Brian's car has full exhaust so I guess he'll be testing it soon and sure to report to us!
1992 & 2006 Miata
rodelca

Post by rodelca »

jasonMX5 wrote:hey rod, you are running 8:1 comp pisons on a stock ECU? Last time I saw a compression change done, the pistons ended up having their faces burned off. But that of course was goingg from 8:1 to 12.5:1 lol.
It is running ok, I have a K&N and Magnaflow cat back, so I think these changes made that my ECU run ok. :D

Visit this link for comp radio. http://www.bgsoflex.com/cgi-bin/crchang ... .8&newcr=8

I hope that the ECU flash for this SC kit, can be manually tunned

Cheers!
Rod Duchato
MX5 GT 2008
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hi Folks,

Talked with Cosworth yesterday. They are finishing the installation instructions and hope to get us a copy of those today. They hope to get the first kits shipped down later this week. They indicated they may simply drive down the first kits to us depending on which day they finish up all the little details of getting them assembled. Will post additional info as soon as we get it. Still hope to install first kit in our 2007 on Saturday.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ZIPNBYE

Post by ZIPNBYE »

rodelca wrote:I hope that the ECU flash for this SC kit, can be manually tuned
Nope.

Per Bill Cardell, of Flyin' Miata, the Cosworth ECU reflash is a one-time like or lump it affair. You'll also need a dealership to reflash you back to stock if you ever decide to uninstall the kit. FM's ECU reflash for their upcoming centrifugal SC is however tunable, and user returnable to stock too. FM's kit is likely going to be about $5,000 and will be an easier install, as you don't have to remove / replace the intake manifold.
Richard
2007 MX-5 GT/PP/PRHT | Stormy Blue Mica / saddle brown | #1 of 16 special order cars | Signed by Takao Kijima & Tom Matano
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

ZIPNBYE wrote:
rodelca wrote:I hope that the ECU flash for this SC kit, can be manually tuned
Nope.

Per Bill Cardell, of Flyin' Miata, the Cosworth ECU reflash is a one-time like or lump it affair. You'll also need a dealership to reflash you back to stock if you ever decide to uninstall the kit. FM's ECU reflash for their upcoming centrifugal SC is however tunable, and user returnable to stock too. FM's kit is likely going to be about $5,000 and will be an easier install, as you don't have to remove / replace the intake manifold.
Have you driven a Miata with a centrifugal blower? I have... I expect that if the kits are similarly priced that most will prefer the power delivery of an OEM-like integrated eaton roots design over the ease of install of a strap on centrifugal (which has been the history of centrifugal kits in the Miata marketplace for more than a decade). For the tight confines of autocross in particular I found the centrifugal a pretty tough drive compared with a roots blower because you could not get significant boost from the centrifugal until it was time to brake for the next turn. Likewise in the real world the centrifugal was not helpful pulling away from stoplights. But, the counter point to this history is that the NC motor already makes much more torque in the low end than the prior miata motors such that the centrifugal should be a better experience on this NC motor than any prior Miata. And, I can imagine a really fun to drive centrifugal powered NC track toy with BIG BOOST and a big air/air intercooler....that should be an attractive option and very efficient if the NC motor will handle big boost (and I expect a forged rod and piston set eventually anyway). I also like the idea of FM's tunable setup. Will see how the Cosworth setup does on the dyno first...since the NC's first O2 sensor is actually a fuel trim sensor the ECU "may" have enough self tunning ability from the base Cosworth map to handle most additional mods...and thus be more idiot proof. I expect FM will sell their tunable setup as an individual item and perhaps Cosworth will do the same and then customers can mix and match....will see.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com